Thursday, March 13, 2014

Venting About Crohn's

Okay so I posted already today and I'm still trying to figure out how to Blog.  I don't know if anyone is reading but I'll keep on writing. 

I was surfing around and I noticed some questions on the internet from guys asking about weather or not to date a girl with Crohn's.  OMGsh seriously?  I've been married for 28 years and have three beautiful children.  I was in remission when I met my husband and for most of our married life.  I've been sick the last six years and he has been my greatest support.  Dear Lord people.. when someone gets sick you help them.  In my opinion, Crohn's sufferers are some of the strongest people on the planet.  Sure we have our tough times but we struggle through it and most of the time we do it as silently as possible. 

There is no cure.  There are good times and bad.  You do what the docs say to do to try and get it into remission and you don't give up because you can't.  You go through terrible pain, all kinds of nasty tests, hospital stays, extreme fatigue, hair loss, weight loss, a miriad of drugs that don't work and some of which can have very detrimental side effects, you try every vitamin and mineral supplement that's recommended, special diets, operations, sometimes you can't work or travel, etc..  But you are strong and you keep looking for answers.  Very strong.

A lot of times I see glimmers of hope on the internet.  "A cure for Crohn's" type stuff.  I read them with a serious grain of salt because sometimes you go into remission with this disease on your own and you have no idea why.  No one does.  Is it possible that they were on a certain drug or a special diet and their body simply decided to go into remission on it's own?  I first went into remission at the age of 16 when I started smoking.  My disease started up again 6 years ago when I quit smoking.  So are people going to say smoking cures Crohn's?  Heck no!!  In fact they say it makes Crohn's much worse.


Crown Molding
Random I know but.. Yay!  Painters just finished the crown molding
I wonder what the next weapons in battle against this disease I will use if Remicade doesn't work.  I've heard a few interesting things.  LDNFMT, Marijuana?  Who knows?  Hey I'll never give up.  You just can't.

I can't begin to name the therapies that have already been tried on me.  As a kid, I can't remember most of them but Azulfadine was the most predominant and of course steroids.  In the last 6 years it's been Prednisone, Asacol, Methotrexate, Humira, Azathioprine, Entocort and Remicade.  I'm sure I'm forgetting some but who cares at this point!  Crohn's is a bitch we just keep on fighting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!